OUTLINE FOR FRIDAY MARCH 9 2018 LECTURE AT WESTERN STATES HORSE EXPO POMONA Are you prepared for a barn emergency? It starts here…
Physical Equipment & Barn Information
- Current Facility Map with Location of horses
- Barn Contact List : All horse owners or caregivers of horse , emergency numbers, evacuation hot line, evacuation site Put specific role title next to person (see below(
- Horse list with any important messages such as nervous loader
- Map with locations of emergency equipment
- Evacuation map with best route and alternate route clearly indicated. Circulate
- Insurance – many commercial policies provide Force Majeure cover but few home policies; government disaster aid information – applications, time limits etc
- Horse Loading Training incl foals
- Sufficient Physical Equipment: recommend Scotty Firefighter Alpha Backpack located at \ each aisle, tack room – essential near hay. Fluorescent signs indicating gear location
- Battery powered or wind up radio; solar powered LED lights best; generator;
- landscape pond with water pump and generator
- Barn and entire facility “fireproofed”: building tips, materials, layout in sections, fireproof roof; sprinkler system; hydrants every building;
- Smoke Alarms; Carbon Monoxide detector;
- Hay storage separate (at least 50’) from horses
- Paths and Roads clear for emergency responders to access facility
- Evacuation Site Identified and Prepared – a topic of its own
- Personal Emergency Kit –
- Contact List of family, doctors, etc.
- Bag packed always ready with medications, critical records, prominent contact info for medical or professional contact; insurance policy & contacts
Making your plan
- (Need two plans – staying or leaving )
- Meet to plan with all interested parties, discuss and write out in easy to read point form. Circulate
- Assign roles to specific people and name alternates. Role appropriate to person’s skill set e.g. horses handled only be experienced handlers with calm nature.
- Communication general manager (gets current status of emergency, liases with authorities, between other role players; contacts evacuation site owner
- Communications assistants(as many people as necessary for size of operation to ensure rapid notice of evacuation plan execution conveyed to all owners, drivers notified, etc. Regular updates.
- Evacuation manager (not same person as communications)
- trailer prep – with essentials: emergency kit, extra halters and leads, first-aid supplies, and flashlights gassed up; generator, feed
- trailer drivers,
- Horse handlers & loader,
- Firefighters – Everyone at facility should know how to operated the basic Scotty’s equipment, like backpack fire extinguisher and where located, One person designated to ensure maintained and map current
- Evacuation Site Manager : adequate fresh water, hay, feed etc. Fireproof. Emergency kit. Fencing and gates secure. Divide into as many pens as possible Determine and stock location for person caring for evacuees to eat and sleep.
- Share the plan: role players, all associated with barn, neighbours Making your plan
Lecture outline found at www.equimats.com/blog
- FRIDAY LECTURE https://equimats.com/horse-evacuation-emergency-planning-firefighting-products-lectures/
- Jill & John Dingle – owners
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: 604 894 6819 –
FOR THE PUBLIC TO BUY SCOTTY FIREFIGHTER PRODUCTS EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE FROM EQUIMAT NORTH AMERICA.
IF YOU LIKE THIS INFORMATION PLEASE SHARE IT WITH FELLOW HORSE LOVERS –
& PLEASE TELL WESTERN STATES HORSE EXPO POMONA ORGANIZERS @westernstateshorseexpo